Ohio Parents Arrested After 8-Year-Old Suffers Near Fatal Overdose on Heroin
According to law enforcement, an Ohio man and woman have been charged with child endangerment after their son, 8, suffered a near fatal overdose in January.
On January 11, Police reportedly responded to a call in Berea, a suburb of Cleveland. in which a child was not breathing. When they arrived, they found him unresponsive, his father administering chest compressions on his son.
According to the police report, the officer found the child had a pulse, and the boy was soon transported to a nearby hospital. At the time, officers suspected the parents of using narcotics, as drugs and syringes were found on the property.
The father told Police that he and the mother had been in bed with the child when he saw that the boy’s lips were turning blue.
In the audio from a 911 call, a man’s voice (most likely the father) can be heard pleading with the dispatcher “Please hurry!” while interchangeably shouting at a woman.
The dispatcher then begins to instruct the two on how to perform CPR on the child. The caller also tried to explain the event:
“I think he was sleeping and I think what happened was he rolled over, and I don’t think he could breathe. I think he was just, like, in the pillow and he suffocated.”
At the hospital, personnel found prescription medication and a bag of heroin in the boy’s sock. The father told police he had used drugs in the house earlier in the day. Both he and the mother were arrested at the hospital.
According to court records, the parents have now been charged with child endangerment and are being held on $150,000 bond. They were arraigned last Friday and are scheduled to appear at a pretrial conference tomorrow.
~ G. Nathalee Serrels, M.A., Psychology